Long Stratton Village Hall Safeguarding & Vulnerable Persons Policy
This policy confirms how the Long Stratton Village Hall Management Committee manages safeguarding and the protection of Vulnerable Persons at Long Stratton Village Hall.
All Long Stratton Village Hall Committee members and volunteers working on the premises have a duty to safeguard vulnerable users of the hall and those who may come into contact with any vulnerable users.
All will respond to any concerns they may have regarding the physical, sexual, emotional or psychological safety of any vulnerable person. This policy is in place to protect all vulnerable persons regardless of their religion, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disability or faith.
Bullying, shouting, physical violence, sexism and racism towards children will not be accepted or tolerated.
The Committee will ensure:
- No member of the trustees, helpers or other volunteers or staff will have unsupervised access to children or vulnerable persons unless they have been through a safe recruitment process and specific Child Protection or Vulnerable Adults Protection training.
- All suspicions or allegations of abuse against a child will be taken seriously and dealt with in a timely and appropriate manner.
- All member and volunteers will be made aware of this policy, child protection and vulnerable adult issues and appropriate training will be provided as required.
- Any concerns or suspicions should be reported to Amanda Phillips, the Chair of the Committee. Amanda will report any issues or concerns that arise to the local authority for Child Protection and Vulnerable Adults and may need to conduct investigations to be able to support any concerns raised.
- The Committee will endeavour to ensure that the premises are safe for the use by children and vulnerable adults. The Committee also recognises that a higher standard of safety is required where use is made by small children, those who cannot read safety notices and physically disabled adults.
- Any organisations or individuals hiring the hall for the purposes of holding activities where Ofsted registration is required should show their registration and have their own Child Protection Policy in place. A copy of their Child Protection Policy should be provided to the Booking Secretary as soon as possible.
- Organisations hiring the hall for activities relating to vulnerable adults will also need to show their policy in line with the protection of these adults.
- The Committee will require hirers to report any damages, breakages or safety issues to the Bookings Secretary as soon as possible who will inform the appropriate people. Any safety issues will be rectified as soon as practicable with the provision to prevent access by children and vulnerable adults where appropriate whilst repairs etc are being completed.
- The Trustees will ensure that hirers are made aware of their obligations under the Licensing Act 2003 to ensure that alcohol is not sold to those under the age of 18. The Trustees will also ensure that hirers are aware that no children are to be admitted to films where they are below the age classification for the film or show. No gambling or entertainment of an adult or sexual nature should be permitted on the premises.
- Contractors carrying out work at the premises must not be allowed unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults.
Safe Recruitment of Staff
Any staff working directly for the Village Hall must:
- Complete an application form which outlines their full employment history.
- Provide at least 2 references
- If working directly with children or young people one of the references should be from someone who has supervised them working with young people, children or vulnerable adults previously.
- They should be checked using a CRB check and copies of this will be held on file.
Any volunteers working for the Management Committee and having unsupervised access to vulnerable persons may also be asked to follow the above recruitment process. An example of this may be running children’s entertainment.
Long Stratton Village Hall Committee